Apple TV + Roku – VERSION 2!
PocketPlatform announces the release of fully rewritten versions of the Apple TV and Roku apps. These set-top TV apps have been redesigned and rewritten from the ground up and we’re excited to make these updates available to our existing Apple TV and Roku customers with no additional fees.
Both apps utilize the same MinistryPlatform data, allowing you to easily manage the lists of Sermon Series and Sermons across all platforms with ease from MP. When combined with the PocketPlatform Media Manager and/or the Sermon Widget, you can create, manage and distribute your media to your congregation wherever and whenever it’s most convenient for them.
Livestreaming is also featured at the top of both apps, making it easy for users to know right where to click on Sundays. In addition, the new apps support multiple livestreams so you can broadcast multiple services, kids content, alternate language services and more.
- What are the rows of tiles on the new apps? The top row features larger tiles and is used to display your livestream tiles. Livestream tiles can be scheduled to appear when you are broadcasting live or to be always available. Below the livestreams row, the new apps display a horizontally scrolling row for each Category. Sermon Series can appear in one or more Categories. This layout is designed to allow you organize your media to allow your users to more easily find the content they’re looking for. You can create Categories for Sunday Sermons, Kids Ministry content, Small Group videos, et al. For more info, check our KB article on Sermon Series Categories.
- How do I get the new apps? If you have an existing PocketPlatform Roku / Apple TV app, we’ve already built an updated version for you. You should have received information from us with links to install the beta versions for testing. If you need help with installing the beta versions, we have KB articles for Apple TV / TestFlight and Roku. If you don’t already have a PocketPlatform Roku or Apple TV app, we’d love to get one setup for you. Reach out to us and we’ll get you on the onboarding schedule.
- What do I need to do before launching the new apps? This is up to you; we’re happy to launch them as soon as you’re ready! We recommend reviewing the beta versions to make sure everything looks good. This is also a good time to review your Sermon content and confirm it’s all appearing the way you want. Remember, with the new Sermon Series Categories structure, you may need to spend some time updating your content to make it appear in the new apps. For more info, check our KB article on Sermon Series Categories.
- How long does it take to launch the new apps? Apple review typically takes at least 48 hours, but typically no more than a week. Roku review is typically 2-3 weeks.
- When does my livestream information appear in the apps? This is configured specifically for each church and so there’s no one size fits all answer to this question. If you think the livestream should be appearing and isn’t, submit a ticket to our Helpdesk with the schedule and other info and we’ll take a look.
- Why aren’t my sermons appearing in the new apps? The new apps display a horizontally scrolling row for each Category. Sermon Series can appear in one or more Categories. This layout is designed to allow you organize your media to allow your users to more easily find the content they’re looking for. You can create Categories for Sunday Sermons, Kids Ministry content, Small Group videos, et al. For more info, check our KB article on Sermon Series Categories.
- Will my videos work on Roku / Apple TV? Generally speaking the answer should be yes. If you use MP4 links, you will have some issues on Roku; we recommend that you use M3U8 links as they work best on all platforms.